Sunday, March 6, 2016

Weekly Blog 2/29 - 3/6 - Synchrony City Fish Investigation


Summary:

    This week, I discovered that Chlorine isn't the only suspect in killing the fish in the Fo River and the Gray Area. Acid Rain, both Nitric (caused by cars and vehicles) and Sulfuric (caused by factories and refineries) acid rain can kill the fish if the acid rain gets into the river and makes the river too acidic for fish or too basic for them, killing them. Sediment can also be a suspect in killing the fish. If tons of sediment get into the river, it can suffocate the fish or clog their gills, preventing or reducing their breathing. It can blind the fish or other creatures, making it hard to eat food. It can also make the river dark, reducing plant growth and food, and since sediment is dark, it can absorb sunlight, significantly or slightly increasing the temperature for fish, who are used to cold or warm temperatures. Hot water is also thick, so it makes it hard to breathe in it for fish, similar to how it is hard to breath in humid air.


SP8: Obtain, Evaluate, and Communicate Information:

     This week, I obtained data about the natural suspects killing the fish in the Gray Area through scientific experiments including Acid Rain and which Rivers were too Acidic/ too Basic and experiments finding which rivers had too much sediment in them. I evaluated the data I gathered by talking to my team about it, matching information, and drawing conclusions. This week  I also engaged in discussions with scientific peers and my table mates. As I was researching and investigating information about the new suspects in killing the fish in the Gray Area (acid rain and sediment), I communicated my new ideas about some of the suspects in causing the Acid Rain (Synchrony City, The Oil Refinery, The Toy Factory), and how all of those suspects affected the entire Gray Area. I also shared information on which rivers were too acidic/too basic. With that, I shared information on which rivers I experimented with had too much or very little sediment. Most of the time, my team agreed with me or added something to my information, and often corrected me.


XCC: Stability and Change:

     The System in the Gray Area dilemma that is unstable is the system/relationship between the environment and the people. This is because the fish and the environment is disrupted by the people. The people are disrupting the fish and the environment by causing acid rain from factories and vehicles. The people are also cutting down trees in the Clear Cut Forest, which may cause erosion, filling up rivers with sediment. A way that this can be fixed is to reduce sediment and acid rain, which are suspects in causing the fish to die. One way to reduce acid rain is to add scrubbers to factories (Oil Refinery and Toy Factory), and possibly sell and promote electric cars, which can significantly reduce acid rain. One way to reduce sediment is to add one or two trees every time one tree is cut down, so that the newly planted trees can hold down the soil, reducing soil erosion and the amount of sediment going into a river.


Conclusion/Final Thoughts:

   This week, I found out new suspects who are possibly/are killing the fish in the Gray Area. Next week, I am sure to find more. This week, I believe I am a Creator (Mutant). I believe this because I believe that I contributed team/self research. I often/always answered questions asked by my team and sometimes corrected data and information. This is why I believe that this week, I am a Creator

No comments:

Post a Comment